Rhinoplasty – Re-shaping the most defining feature
Perhaps no other surgery changes your face as much as a rhinoplasty. Nose is a characteristic feature. Even a subtle touch can have a great impact not only on the nose itself, but on the whole “appearance” of the face. So, it is quite reasonable to consider rhinoplasty if you are not happy with your nose or its proportion to the rest of the face. It is the surgery to enhance beauty.
The results of rhinoplasty last a lifetime, so it is critical to choose a surgeon with experience and discuss expectations in a realistic way. Rhinoplasty can change the size, the shape and the angle of the nose in relation to the upper lip or correct bumps. Whatever is being done, the critical point is to make the nose into better proportion with the rest of the face. Naturally, Rhinoplasty may also correct structural problems with the nose that cause chronic congestion and breathing problems.
A rhinoplasty can either be open or closed. In closed surgery, there is no external scar, all incisions are inside the nostril so that no scar can be seen from outside. In open surgery, there is a small external scar in the the small bridge of skin between the nostrils. This scar is practically unnoticeable, even in the early post-operative period. The open technique allows the surgeon to work in difficult nasal tips, especially when the tip of the nose requires considerable reshaping. In closed surgery, the incisions are not visible as they are placed inside the nostril. Open surgery is mostly preferred when the procedure involves resection or reduction of the bony hump. In any case, every case is unique and generalizations should not be made about the technique used. Your surgeon will explain why the particular technique used is ideal for you.
Approx. 2 hours
bruising will disappear within a week. 80% of the swelling will disappear in the first weeks.
A nasal splint is normally worn for the first week after rhinoplasty. There will be bruising around the eyes after surgery that will begin to improve after a couple days, but will last for several weeks. There will stil be swelling even past this period, but can hardly be noticed. The final shape of the nose will be apparent after it has healed completely, which might take up to 6 months.
After a successful rhinoplasty;
• The nose is in proportion to the rest of the face
• The result looks natural People who knew the patient before the surgery will notice a positive change but mostly cannot figure out why. People who did not know the patient will not notice that the patient has had a surgery.
• The patient has no breathing problem. The breathing problem the patient had before the surgery has been corrected.
• The patient is more confident and is happt with the result.
What to Expect After Surgery
• There is minimal to no pain after the surgery that can be easily controlled by medication.
• Swelling and bruising
• 80% of the swelling will be gone after approximately two-three weeks.
• You can go back to work after 3-4 days.