Vaginoplasty is the tightening of the vaginal muscles that have become weak and loose; it might also be described as a face-lift for the vagina. It aims to increase the strength, control and contraction of the vaginal muscles. Childbirth, age and cancer might be the most common reasons for the weakening of muscles. This condition might also be caused a birth defect, called vaginal atresia. In any case, it might lead to sexual problems (reduced sexual sensation, dissatisfaction of the partner) and incontinence. In some cases, even tampon usage might become impossible.
What to expect
• This operation can be performed under general or local anesthesia.
• The operation is generally performed on an outpatient basis
• The surgery will take approximately 1-2 hours.
• The post-operative pain is minimal and can be controlled with pain medication.
• There will be a gauze outside the opening of the vagina that will be removed the next day.
• There will be swelling in the early post operative period.
• The patient can return to work and normal daily activities within 3-4 days.
• Patients should avoid using tampons, wearing tight clothing for at least 6 weeks.
• Sexual intercourse should be avoided for six weeks.